Hippocrates said, “All disease begins in the Gut” !
We now have evidence to back him up. You might be surprised how many health conditions are a result of having a Leaky Gut.
Causes of Leaky Gut
There are four main causes of Leaky gut which include:
- Poor diet – (such as gluten, dairy, sugar, processed foods & oils, GMO’s etc…)
- Chronic stress
- Toxin overload – (such as prescription medications, or over-the-counter drugs like aspirin, Tylenol, Ibuprofen, and chemicals in our foods & personal products)
- Bacterial imbalance
The most common components of food that can damage your intestinal lining are the proteins found in un-sprouted grains, sugar, GMO’s and conventional dairy.
The problem with un-sprouted grains is that they contain large amounts of anti-nutrients or nutrient blockers called phytates and lectins. Lectins are sugar-binding proteins that act as a natural defense system for plants that protect them from outside invaders like mold and parasites.
This is good news for plants but bad news for your body. Your digestive lining is covered with sugar-containing cells that help break down your food. Lectins gravitate toward this area and when they attach to your digestive lining, it damages your gut and causes inflammation.
Symptoms or Conditions of Leaky Gut
- Digestive issues such as gas, bloating, diarrhea, Crohn’s disease (IBS) irritable bowel syndrome or Ulcerative Colitis
- Seasonal allergies or asthma
- Hormonal imbalances such as PMS or PCOS
- Autoimmune diseases such as Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis, Lupus, Psoriasis, Multiple Sclerosis, Celiac disease, etc…
- Chronic fatigue or Fibromyalgia.
- Depression, anxiety, lack of focus, ADD, ADHD, or Autism
- Acne, Rosacea, Rashes, Eczema, or Psoriasis
- Food allergies, intolerance’s/sensitivities
- Nutritional Deficiencies
- Thyroid Issues or sluggish metabolism
- Sick often (2-3 times a year)
- Joint pain, headaches
- Gluten, dairy or other food sensitivities
If you answered yes to more than 2-3 of these you may be in the beginning stages of Leaky Gut. Cleaning up your diet & changing your lifestyle will likely prevent you from getting a full-blown leaky gut.
If you answered yes to more than 4, you more than likely have a Leaky Gut. You need to take action now. It will only get worse as time goes on.
How to Heal
- Eliminate all grains, dairy, sugar, nuts, seeds, nightshades, eggs, GMO foods, processed foods, hydrogenated oils, & toxic chemicals (Look into the Paleo Diet)
- Replace with organic grass-fed & pastured meat, wild caught fish, organic vegetables & fruits, good fats such as coconut oil
- Add digestive enzymes, hydrochloric acid and bile acids.
- Add soil based probiotics, fermented drinks and fermented foods to re-establish a healthy gut flora
- Add Bone broth daily
- L-glutamine is an amino acid that helps to rejuvenate the lining of the gut wall.
If you want more detailed information regarding Leaky Gut, read the book “Eat Dirt” by Dr. Josh Axe.