What are Essential Oils?
Essential Oils are natural aromatic compounds that come from plants or trees. They are created usually, through either steam distillation or cold-pressed extraction. The most common way essential oils are created is through steam distillation. This is where you let the steam rise through it & it separates the water from the oil.
Most Citrus Oils are done through cold-pressed extraction. They are not done on the flesh but on the citrus peel instead. It is done pretty much like cold-pressed olive oil is done today. A very clean & pure process.
Essential Oils are highly concentrated healing compounds anywhere from 10x to upwards of a 70x concentration.
For example, it takes 150 lbs of lavender flowers to equal 1 oz of Lavender oil & 65 lbs of rose petals to equal 1 15 ml bottle of Rose Oil. That is Amazing! Now you see why it costs so much for those tiny little bottles. In other words, a little goes a long way!
Why Essential Oils?
Why? One reason is that Essential Oils have been used for well over 5000 years, and that is just what has been documented. Another reason is that our medical system today, according to some stats, is the 3rd leading killer in the US behind heart disease & cancer.
We know that thousands & thousands of people die every year because of the side effects of drugs & medications. Essential Oils can replace drugs & offer superior results.
Essential Oils have been proven to improve chronic medical conditions like diabetes, IBS, autoimmune diseases, high blood pressure, depression & cancer. These are just a few of the chronic medical conditions & life-threatening medical conditions that Essential Oils have been proven to be useful for using them as medicine.
Essential Oils can replace our personal care products that are laden with chemicals that load the body with toxins, and also the toxic chemicals that we use to clean our homes.
They can also be used to balance hormones, heal burns & rashes, treat skin conditions such as Eczema & Psoriasis, as well as treat pain, such as headaches or muscle & joint pain.
Essential Oil Benefits
- Fights Cold & Flu Symptoms
- Treats Medical Conditions
- Relaxes your body & soothes sore muscles
- Heals Skin Conditions
- Alleviates Pain
- Balances Hormones
- Improves Digestion
- Used to Clean your Home
- Used in Homemade Personal Care Products
Ways to Use Essential Oils?
- Topically -Essential Oils are transdermal. You can put them on your skin & get many internal therapeutic benefits.
- Aromatically – inhaling or diffusing- Essential Oils have the ability to pass through your cells, into your cells & kill viruses.
- Internal – Only certain oils & in a specific form. Be cautious when using internally.
Essential Oil Grades
- Synthetic – NOT EVEN an Essential Oil.
- Food Grade – Approved by the FDA to be non-toxic & used in food like peppermint patties. Processed & non-beneficial.
- Therapeutic/Medicinal Grade – A self-established claim or certification used to describe specific standards held in practices of farming & processing.
Make sure you are getting Certified Pure Therapeutic/Medicinal Grade.
My Top 5 Favorites!
- Heals Burns & Wounds
- Diffuse or apply topically to reduce symptoms of Depression & Anxiety
- Improves Blood sugar & Diabetes
- Diffuse in Bedroom to Improve Sleep
- Balances & Hydrates Skin
- Reduces Acne
- Improves Eczema, Psoriasis, Dermatitis & Rashes
- Alleviates Headaches
- Dilution not required
You can read more about Lavender Oil here.
- Diffuse to Improve Focus & Energy
- Diffuse to Improve Breathing & Sinus
- Calms Headaches
- Used to treat Sinusitis & Sinus infections
- Used to treat IBS symptoms
- Used in treating ADHD & other Neurological issues
Read more about Peppermint Oil here.
- Powerful anti-microbial, antifungal, anti-parasitic, & anti-viral
- Very effective in treating athlete’s foot & toenail fungus
- Very effective in eliminating UTI’s, candida & yeast
- Effective replacement of many prescription antibiotic medications
- Has been shown to protect against methotrexate (a dangerous medication is given to treat migraines, cancer & rheumatoid arthritis)
- Should be diluted- very strong oil-use with a carrier oil
4. Frankincense Oil (Boswellia)
- Natural anti-inflammatory
- Reduces scarring, sunspots on skin, bruising & skin cancer
- Medically proven to destroy cancer cells
- Boosts Immunity
- Neurological Support
- Smooths Wrinkles
- Promotes Healing
- Fades Scars & Stretch Marks
- Heals bruising
Read more about Frankincense here.
“When in doubt, use Frankincense”
5. Tea Tree Oil (Melaleuca)
- Anti-bacterial, anti-fungal
- Reduces Odors
- Soothes Pimples
- Cleans Wounds
- Stimulates the Immune System
- Treats Sore Throats (rub on throat area)
- Kills Head Lice
- Used in Household Cleaning
- Cleans Air of Pathogens & Allergens
- Kills Mold
- Treats Earaches
- Treats Fungal Infections (Ex: Toenail fungus)
- Dilution not required
What are Carrier Oils?
Dilution increases the surface area of absorption and with certain oils can prevent sensitivities.
- Almond oil
- Avocado oil
- Coconut oil (Read about the benefits of Coconut Oil here)
- Jojoba oil
- Olive oil
- Pomegranate seed oil
- Argan Oil
For most people, it is recommended to do 10% dilution. That equals 5 drops of essential oil per 1/2 teaspoon of carrier oil.
Do you use Essential Oils in your home? Tell me which ones are your top favorites & how you use them.
Some Essential Oil Contradictions
Essential oils can act as a powerful form of natural medicine. There are a few times where they are not recommended for usage:
Pregnancy – These oils, because of their hormonal effects, are not recommended to use during Pregnancy even though in most cases, they are completely healthy. – Basil, cinnamon, clary sage, clove, cypress, fennel, jasmine, juniper, marjoram, myrrh, rose, rosemary, sage, and thyme.
Heart medications (blood thinners) – Clary sage, cypress, eucalyptus, ginger, rosemary, sage, and thyme.
*NO information on this site should be used to diagnose, treat, prevent or cure any disease or condition.