Last Updated on October 23, 2020 by Renee’
“All disease begins in the Gut”! Hippocrates
Finally, we now have evidence to back him up.
You might be surprised how many health conditions are a result of having a Leaky Gut.
So, What Causes Leaky Gut?
4 main causes of Leaky Gut:
1. Poor diet -One of the main causes is the SAD (Standard American Diet) which includes gluten, grains, dairy, sugar, processed foods, vegetable oils, soy, GMO’s conventional meats, eggs, farmed fish etc…
2. Chronic stress – from everyday life
3. Toxin overload -such as prescription medications, or over-the-counter drugs like aspirin, Tylenol, Ibuprofen, preservatives & glyphosate (round-up) in our food, all the chemicals in our personal care products & cleaning supplies.
4. Bacterial imbalance in the gut from taking antibiotics.
*Did you know that if you have an autoimmune disease, you have a leaky gut?
I have 3 autoimmune diseases & I have leaky gut. I have been able to put 2, almost the 3rd one in remission by changing my diet, cleaning up the toxins in my home & the toxins I use in personal care.
What’s wrong with our food?
The most common components of food that damages the intestinal lining are the proteins found in un-sprouted grains, sugar, GMO’s and conventional dairy.
The problem with un-sprouted grains is that they contain large amounts of anti-nutrients or nutrient blockers called phytates and lectins. Lectins are sugar-binding proteins that act as a natural defense system for plants that protect them from outside invaders like mold and parasites.
This is good news for plants but bad news for your body. Your digestive lining is covered with sugar-containing cells that help break down your food. Lectins gravitate toward this area and when they attach to your digestive lining, it damages your gut and causes inflammation.
What about personal care & cleaning products?
Another thing that I didn’t realize that is so harmful is all the chemicals that we put on our bodies.
Our skin is our largest organ & absorbs anything we put on it within seconds.
I had to learn to read labels on everything from what I eat to what I put on my body. Educate yourself. Don’t trust the marketing packages & especially not the government that regulates these. If in doubt, don’t buy. Make your own products using natural ingredients you know you can trust. Coconut Oil & Essential Oils are my best friends.
Also, remember to clean up your cleaning supplies. These items are toxic. I now make most of my cleaning supplies or I buy all-natural products.
Share on Pinterest
Symptoms or Conditions of Leaky Gut
- Digestive issues – such as gas, bloating, diarrhea, Crohn’s disease (IBS) irritable bowel syndrome or Ulcerative Colitis
- Seasonal allergies
- Hormonal imbalances – such as PMS or PCOS
- Autoimmune diseases – such as Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis, Lupus, Psoriasis, Multiple Sclerosis, Celiac disease, Vitiligo etc…
- Chronic fatigue or Fibromyalgia.
- Depression, anxiety, lack of focus, ADD, ADHD, or Autism
- Acne, Rosacea, Rashes, Eczema, or Psoriasis
- Food allergies, intolerance’s/sensitivities
- Nutritional Deficiencies
- Thyroid Issues or sluggish metabolism
- Sick often (2-3 times a year or more)
- Joint pain, headaches
- Gluten, dairy or other food sensitivities
If you have more than 2-3 of these symptoms, you may be in the beginning stages of Leaky Gut.
Cleaning up your diet & changing your lifestyle will likely prevent you from getting a full-blown leaky gut. Do it now. Do not wait until you are full-blown to start as I did.
If you answered yes to more than 4, you more than likely have a Leaky Gut. You need to take action now. It will only get worse as time goes on. Trust me. I know first hand about this.
Steps to Heal
- Eliminate all grains, dairy, sugar, nuts, seeds, nightshades, beans, eggs, GMO foods, processed foods, hydrogenated oils, & toxic chemicals. These all cause inflammation in the gut. Read about the Paleo diet here & the elimination diet here.
- Replace with organic grass-fed & pastured meat, wild-caught fish, organic fruits & vegetables, good fats such as coconut oil & Olive Oil.
- Add digestive enzymes, hydrochloric acid, and bile acids.
- Add soil-based probiotics, Fermented Drinks, and fermented foods such as Sauerkraut, Fermented Pickled Okra, Fermented Pickled Red Onions, Honey Fermented Red Onions. Fermented Dilly Beans & my favorite, Cauliflower Pickles to re-establish a healthy gut flora
- Add Bone broth & collagen powder daily.
- L-glutamine is an amino acid that helps to rejuvenate the lining of the gut wall. Read more about it here.
I healed my Leaky Gut by starting the Paleo Diet. After about 6 months I started the AIP Diet, perfect for healing leaky gut & autoimmune diseases. I was able to put 2 of 3 of my autoimmune diseases in remission. I’m within 1 point of putting the 3rd in remission.
*UPDATE– I just had bloodwork done & now have put my 3rd one in remission. Yay Me!
*If you want more detailed information regarding Leaky Gut, read the book “Eat Dirt” by Dr. Josh Axe.
*NO information on this site should be used to diagnose, treat, prevent or cure any disease or condition.