Last Updated on
After going AIP I needed to give up coffee. So I searched the internet (Pinterest) to find an alternative. This recipe for AIP Herbal Coffee Alternative is my version of what I found.
So, I decided I needed to post my recipe for AIP Herbal “Coffee” that helped me get through when I was doing strict AIP & had to give up coffee. Coffee was one of the hardest & last things I gave up to further my healing process.
Recently I read an article on the Amazing Benefits of Dandelion Root. You can read the article here.
The AIP Herbal “Coffee” Alternative not only contains Dandelion Root but also has Chicory Root. This is what gives it the coffee flavor.
Chicory Root has so many health benefits too. It’s a great source of prebiotics. The inulin in chicory root nourishes the gut bacteria, improves digestion & helps relieve constipation. Chicory Root can also help increase bile production, which improves fat digestion. Additionally, Chicory Root is high in antioxidant compounds that protect the liver from oxidative damage.
Dandelion Root is high in nutrients. It is a great source of antioxidants & may be useful in the prevention & treatment of cancer. It has been shown to reduce cholesterol & supports the liver. Dandelion Root has antimicrobial properties that can help stop the growth of disease-causing bacteria.
What’s funny, is that I still drink it even though I have re-introduced coffee, but I love knowing that I’m getting all the wonderful benefits of the ingredients in this recipe.
A Little History
I started drinking coffee when I was old enough to sit on my mother’s lap & sip it out of her spoon (no judgment here). Obviously, I wasn’t drinking it in my sippy cup, but I did develop a taste for coffee at a very early age.
So when I realized I had to stop drinking coffee to continue the healing process of my autoimmune disease, I came across a recipe for an AIP Herbal “Coffee” Alternative.
The recipe called for dates to sweeten it & you had to boil it on the stove, then strain it. I don’t know about you, but that just seemed a little too cumbersome for someone who “needed” coffee in the mornings & was fighting fatigue so bad I just wanted to crawl back in bed. So I decided to make my own version of it.
- 1 scoop Roasted Dandelion Root
- 1 scoop Roasted Chicory Root
- 1 scoop Carob Powder (AIP) or Cacao Powder (Paleo) (optional) (Add if you want it more like your Starbucks version)
- Coconut Sugar, Raw Honey, or Maple Syrup to taste (optional) (remember to use in moderation)
- Coconut Milk (I mix one can of Full Fat with 1 can of filtered water & blend with Immersion Blender) (or Almond Milk, if not AIP)
- 1-2 Tbs. Coconut Oil per cup (optional)
- 1-2 Tbs. Great Lakes Gelatin Powder (optional)
- 5-6 Cups of Filtered Water (1/2 pot)
- Put Dandelion Root, Chicory Root & Carob or Cacao Powder (if using) in coffee maker just as you would your regular coffee.
- Add filtered water to coffee maker (This is the one I have. I love it because you can brew a single cup or a pot) & Turn on.
- When “Coffee” is brewed, serve as you would normally. If you want it more like a “Starbucks” latte add sweetener of choice, milk of choice, &/or coconut oil & blend with an Immersion Blender until frothy.
*If you want even more nutritional value, add 1-2 Tbs. of Great Lakes Gelatin Powder. I put 2 heaping Tbs. in mine every morning.
*Here is another healthy healing tea, try my Lemon Turmeric Ginger Tea. I have this on an empty stomach 1st thing every morning.