Last Updated on August 19, 2020 by Renee’
Spaghetti with Meat Sauce! Ahhh! How I missed it!
After going Paleo & then AIP, pasta was something that I really missed. I loved pasta. We ate it every week. Sometimes several times a week… with bread! Yeah, I know that’s why I had to go AIP Paleo. So, after a few months, I just had to have Spaghetti with Meat Sauce!
I can’t believe I had never had spaghetti squash. This was life-changing.
I decided to make an AIP Paleo version of my old Spaghetti with Meat Sauce minus the tomatoes. Wow! It was amazing! I didn’t even miss the tomatoes. Well, maybe a little!
First cook & prep your squash. I had 2 small ones but you can cook 1 med. – large one. If you haven’t cooked one before, here is my recipe on How to Cook Spaghetti Squash & if you have an Instant Pot this recipe is by far the easiest & fastest way to cook Spaghetti Squash.
While the squash is cooking, brown your Organic Grass-Fed ground beef in EVOO. Add onions, garlic, sea salt, & Italian seasoning, saute. You can use fresh herbs if you have them. Fresh herbs are always better. For fresh herbs, I like to add them after everything has cooked, when the Meat Sauce is simmering.
Then add the mushrooms & olives. I like to use fresh mushrooms, but you can also use canned ones like these. After it has cooked for about 5 min. you can add the coconut milk for AIP or tomatoes if Paleo. Let simmer for about 15-20 min. I like to add a bag of organic baby spinach, right before serving to add extra nutrients. Just cook long enough for it to wilt. You could always add frozen too. I do that in a pinch when I don’t have fresh spinach.
Sprinkle with a generous portion of Nutritional Yeast for a more cheesy flavor!
Coconut milk makes the sauce more creamy like Alfredo (almost). If you haven’t tried it, you should. It’s delish!
- 1 spaghetti squash cooked & shredded or my new favorite AIP compliant noodle (glass noodles)
- 2 lbs organic grass-fed hamburger
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 1/2 c. chopped onions
- 5-6 cloves of minced fresh garlic or dehydrated minced garlic
- sea salt to taste
- 1 Tbs organic Italian seasoning
- 1/2 c. sliced black olives
- 1 sm container of fresh sliced mushrooms or 1 can of organic sliced mushrooms
- l bag of organic baby spinach
- nutritional yeast *optional (for cheesy flavor) (I like to add about 1/4 c. to the sauce when it is done)
*Optional – For AIP add 1-2 cans of full-fat coconut milk (for creamier more Alfredo-like sauce) I like to add 2 cans. (I add 1/4 c. nutritional yeast & garlic powder)
*Optional – For Paleo add 1 jar of organic diced tomatoes or your favorite marinara sauce.
- Saute onions & garlic on med. heat in olive oil until tender & translucent.
- Add ground beef, sea salt & cook until brown.
- Add Italian seasoning, olives & mushrooms & cook until mushrooms are done.
- If you are adding either coconut milk or tomatoes, add them now.
- Let simmer for about 15-20 min.
- Add spinach
- Sprinkle with Nutritional Yeast
- Serve over spaghetti squash or glass noodles (my new favorite)
*Scroll down for printable recipe card.
More Recipes You’ll Enjoy:
- Instant Pot Paleo Basil Coconut Curry Chicken
- AIP Paleo Mediterranean Chicken
- AIP Paleo Ground Beef and Broccoli
- AIP Paleo Spinach Artichoke Chicken Bake
Make sure you add enough sea salt & garlic to the spaghetti squash or it might be a little too sweet. As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Make sure you add enough sea salt & garlic to the spaghetti squash or it might be a little too sweet.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.